Local Mental Health Charity marks
40 years of delivering services to the people of Monmouthshire
Local, independent, mental health charity, Mind Monmouthshire, marks its 40 years of service to the county, and there are many ways you can be involved in celebrating and raise awareness around mental health.
Originally formed in 1980 the charity launched as Abergavenny Mind Association, run by an executive committee providing supported living, a shop and a drop-in and befriending service. The Association has evolved into Mind Monmouthshire as we know it today, supporting people with their mental health across the county.
Picture above of the Launch of the Abergavenny Mind Association being officially introduced.
Over 40 years the charity has supported thousands of people across the county, and is still here today providing a vast array of mental health support including; supported living, self-help sessions, welfare advice, tenancy support, counselling, mental health training, support for agricultural workers, and a service providing vital information and advice.
Kerry Jones is the longest and current serving staff member at Mind Monmouthshire who has served the charity for 20 years and said:
“It’s an incredible achievement the charity has served the people of Monmouthshire for 40 years and is still here now continuing to provide as much support as it can. Whilst mental health is now more talked about which is a good thing, we know there is still more to do, demand is increasing and the more support we get the more local support we can provide. The Charity has been here when mental health was less talked about and on the agenda and is still here today providing services for people of the county. I love working here and hope to continue working here until I retire!”
Mind Monmouthshire CEO, Chris Bowie said:
“Whilst we acknowledge that 2020 is a tough time for everyone, this will provide opportunity for anyone to be involved and in doing so you will be supporting a local charity for local people of Monmouthshire. It’s incredible we have been here for 40 years, and we are working hard to continuing support for the people of Monmouthshire. We thank everyone who has been part of and supported the Charity. Your ongoing support allows us to keep our community services running, thank you”.
Ways You Can be Involved and Local Contact details below:
- We are looking for 40 people in Monmouthshire who are up for doing their own challenge and would like to fundraise and help promote Mental Health across the county, along with raising much needed funds.
- Our staff have generated 40 ideas to improve your mental health. Have a go at some of these ideas or come up with your own! Some are fun, some are a challenge and some are just very relaxing…….
- Look out for our social media posts, retweet and share.
- If you would like to tell your own story around mental health and don’t mind talking publicly, please get in touch.
- If you have been supported by Mind Monmouthshire, and don’t mind sharing the support received and the difference it has made, please contact us and share your story.
If you would like to be involved and support your Local Mental health Charity or if you need support please contact us via email email@example.com or call us on 01873 858275 to get you signed up and started.
Please note Mind Monmouthshire is a local, independent mental health charity. Mind Monmouthshire funds itself and 100% money raised goes to helping support the people of Monmouthshire.